Tuesday 23 April 2024

 

The Train

I was stuck in heavy traffic and I was worried that I would miss the train. When I finally reached the station, the train was already moving. Luckily, I was travelling light. I ran and managed to board the train before it left the platform.

I was alone in the cabin.

I had not slept for more than thirty hours. The moment I settled in my berth I fell asleep.

I felt a sever jolt and woke up. For a couple seconds I could not comprehend where I was. Soon I realized that I was in a train, going back home. I tried to look through the glass-window.  It was completely dark outside.

I felt that I was not alone in the cabin. Someone was sleeping on the opposite berth. The person turned around. She was a young girl. She was very beautiful.

Suddenly, I again felt a severe jolt and the train started moving. But surprisingly, the jolt did not disturb the girl, she remained asleep.

When the alarm woke me up, train was about to reach my destination. I turned towards the opposite berth. It was vacant.  I came out of the cabin and looked around but the girl was not in the coach. Perhaps she had deboarded the train at the previous station.

I saw the ticket checker and, just out of curiosity, I asked him about the girl.

“Which girl? You must be mistaken. You were the only passenger in that cabin.”

“How can that be? I saw her sleeping on the opposite berth. Around 1 a.m. when the train had stopped ……...”

Ticket Checker looked at me suspiciously, “The train had stopped? Around 1 a.m.? Are you serious?”

His reaction left me confused, ‘Did I dream about her?’

As I came out of the station, I saw that girl rushing towards a taxi.

 ***********

A post for A to Z April Challenge

Today’s letter T


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment