Monday 22 April 2024

 

Snoring

He unlocked the door and stepped into his room. The room was unusually dark.

‘What’s the matter,’ he thought, ‘it’s still quite bright outside…. why it’s so dark in here.’

He switched on the light but surprisingly the room remained dark. He felt there was someone in the room. He heard a loud snore.

By now his eyes had adjusted to the dim light in the room. To his horror he saw a seedy looking old man lying in his bed.

He almost screamed in terror.

“Don’t scream, it doesn’t behove a young man who wants to become a soldier. Did you do well in the entrance examination?” old man asked.

He was too stupefied to respond.

“Who are you? How did you enter my room? How do you know about me?”  

“You won’t believe me……. but I am a ghost,” old man almost whispered, sheepishly. And then he moaned as if in pain, “This pain will kill me. Oh! My right knee.”

He was totally confused, ‘If he is a ghost, then how can he be in pain?’

“Do you know any home remedy? No doctor would be willing to treat me,” old man asked.

“You can try fomentation with hot water.”

“Will that work?”

“It may. My grandfather used to try it.”

“Your grandfather? I think I knew him……. we were together in the war. Yes…. yes, he helped me when I was shot…. He tried hard but couldn’t save me.”

He was feeling terrified.

“Will you please help me?”

He immediately rushed out.

He came back after a few minutes with bowl of hot water.

The old man was sleeping……and he was snoring loudly.

*********

A post for A to Z April Challenge

Today’s letter S,

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting story - I like that the ghost knew his Grandfather...
    https://how-would-you-know.com/2024/04/soybeans-and-a-solage.html

    ReplyDelete