Monday 1 April 2024

 



Admit Card

He was in a hurry. He knew that if he reached late, he would not be allowed to enter the Examination Hall.  And if that happened his father would kill him. He was more scared of his father then of the examination. Father was desperately hoping that at least he would qualify for the army. His elder brothers had failed to fulfil their father’s dream.

Suddenly it occurred to him that he had forgotten to bring his Admit Card. Terrified, he ran back towards his room.

He jumped out of the elevator and banged into an old man in tattered clothes.

“Are you blind?”

“No, but perhaps you are.”

“I’m not blind. I know for sure.”

“Who are you? What are you doing here?” He had never seen the old man.

“I’m a ghost; I live in your room, young man. Did you never see me? Surprising?”

“You think I’m a fool,” he was exasperated.

“No, but you forgot your Admit Card. You left it on the table. Take it and be on your way. Now!”

Old man thrust the Admit Card into his hand and with slow, ungainly steps went towards his room.


*******

A post for A to Z April Challenge

Today's letter is A

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I hope he gets back in time to take the test. (side note - better title for "a" would be "Admit Card", just a thought). I will be posting some flashes mixed in other stuff. I think my best story will be "f" - at least of the ones I have prepped so far. Good luck! (erin penn - https://www.erinpenn.com/blog/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never occurred to me. Thanks and i accept your suggestion

      Delete
  2. Must be nice to have a ghost roommate. I hope to read what happened next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all must have at one time or the other known the fear of forgetting our admit cards. Enjoyed that read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a way to find out his room is haunted!

    Ronel visiting for A: My Languishing TBR: A
    Abominable Wraiths

    ReplyDelete