Tuesday 2 April 2024

 



Brave man

I signed the rent agreement and handed over a cheque to the Real Estate Agent. He smiled, “I must say, you are lucky man …. you got a great deal.”

I just smiled and said nothing.

“And, by the way, don’t pay attention to your neighbour.… he is sort of a…. a loony character…. keeps telling strange stories.”

I looked at him quizzically.

The Agent left, abruptly.  

The day I moved in, I bumped into my neighbour.

“You shouldn’t have rented this house….it is haunted…. but perhaps you aren’t scared…...brave man,” he said, almost in a mocking tone.

I tried to ignore him but a slight wave of suspicion did disturb me.

Three months passed peacefully.

One night I awoke suddenly. I thought I had heard a laughter.

‘I must have been dreaming,’ I thought and tried to go back to sleep.

“No, no, you weren’t dreaming. I did laugh, rather loudly. I am sorry, my laughter woke you up. But I must say, what a funny story you have written!”

Someone was standing near my desk holding a sheaf of papers. It was the story I had just finished before going to bed.

*******

A post for A to Z April Challenge

Today’s letter B

You may like to read my earlier posts. Please click

A

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this one, good story, will you continue it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's flash fiction and it ends here. thanks for visiting my blog

      Delete